"Prayer does not change God, but it changes him who prays." ~ Soren Kierkegaard

Monday, February 11, 2008

Smile!

The other day I was on my way up to Mr. Profitt's office and I passed a fellow student who was sweeping the stairs. He said "hello" and I gave him my usual reply with a smile. He stopped sweeping and asked me why I was smiling. "Everytime I see you, you are smiling. Why are you such a smiley person? What makes you smile?" I was a little caught off guard. Why did I smile? I told him it was because I like it when I receive a smile. A smile somehow makes someones day brighter and why should I be the one to make they're day bad just because I didn't smile. But is that really the reason? I thought about that for the rest of the day and have thought about it on more than one occasion since then. Why do I smile? I don't always feel like smiling. In fact there are somedays where smiling is the last thing in this world that I feel like doing, but do you really have to feel like smiling just to smile? And why does it matter if I smile anyways? Do people really care whether I smile or not? I once did an experiment for psychology on smiles. I found this little test on line where you watched twenty different people smile and after each one you had to check whether it was a real or fake smile. The day I found the test I really wasn't in the best of moods, but by the time the test was over I found myself smiling and in a better mood. That gave me an idea for my own experiment. I had a few other people take the test and afterwards I asked them if they had found themselves smiling or in a better mood then when they had started. Most said they did find themselves smiling back. So, I guess that brings me back to the question, "Does it really matter whether or not you smile?" I think it does. But most of the time I find myself smiling at someone and I don't even realize it. So why do I smile, if not just to make others smile? "Happy is he that hath the God of Jacob for his help, whose hope is in the LORD his God: ~ Psalm 146:5" Maybe that's why I smile. : ) Are you smiling?

7 comments:

Alanna said...

Hi Becky,

I love your smile...don't stop. It makes people wonder what you're up to! :-) No really, I think Christians should smile more -- why should we frown?? We know the Hope of the World, and He has overcome the world. That makes me smile!

Phil & Sue Arnold said...

Keep smiling Becky Sue!! Remember, smiles are contagious. See you in few days! I can't wait! Love Mom

Ike said...

Good post!

Kimberly said...

Awesome! I have found the same to be true.

Leanna said...

Smiles are good! :)

Cheryl Watters said...

Great reminder, Becky! See you in a couple of days! Looking forward to that.

urhis said...

We are smiling because you are home! It's great to see you and that contagious smile. God bless!