"Prayer does not change God, but it changes him who prays." ~ Soren Kierkegaard

Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Thankful for Donuts!

I know it's kind of a strange thing to be thankful for, but I promise there is a story behind it.
Yesterday I was running late for work. I always set my alarm for about 15 minutes earlier than what I need to, because I always hit the snooze. Then when it goes off the second time I get up. Well, my alarm never went off the second time, so, needless to say, I woke up with a start and had to rush around to get ready. Well, I was on time to work, but I didn't have time to eat breakfast. I thought, well maybe I will be able to stop at the bakery a few doors down from work first, but, of course, I didn't have time. When I got to work, I was told it was one of the days that the manager was going to be in for the day, and that on her days at our office she always gets a dozen donuts from the bakery. I said, "Great, because I didn't have breakfast." So there I was eating my Long John cream filled donut with chocolate icing, my favorite, and it dawned on me, was this an act of God? I know it sounds crazy, but here it is, I didn't have breakfast, I can't really go without breakfast or I start to feel kind of sick, I had to buy lunch that day and had just enough money to get lunch, and I didn't have time to grab something as I headed out the door and I show up at work just to find that breakfast, my favorite donuts, are there waiting for me. It did make me wonder. But you know it's not really that crazy of an idea. God loves us and cares about every aspect of our lives. Why wouldn't He care whether I got breakfast or not? Well, anyhow, sitting there eating my donut, I quickly bowed my head and thanked God...for my donut.

2 comments:

Alanna said...

very cool Becky. I think God is constantly working in our lives - sometimes we fail to notice Him. Yay for donuts! :)

Melissa Phelps said...

Ooh! God's done that for me before. Several times during student teaching, I skip breakfast and someone will give me a brownie, or there will be bagels in the teacher's lounge.
It's so happy. God is good. All the time.