"Prayer does not change God, but it changes him who prays." ~ Soren Kierkegaard

Friday, January 15, 2010

A few thoughts

The past few weeks, during my devotions, I keep coming back to a passage in Proverbs 3:4-12. I like the way The Message puts it.

Earn a reputation for living well in God's eyes and the eyes of the people. Trust God from the bottom of your heart; don't try to figure out everything on your own. Listen for God's voice in everything you do, everywhere you go; he's the one who will keep you on track.Don't assume that you know it all. Run to God! Run from evil! Your body will glow with health, your very bones will vibrate with life! Honor God with everything you own; give him the first and the best.Your barns will burst, your wine vats will brim over. But don't,dear friend, resent God's discipline; don't sulk under his loving correction. It's the child he loves that God corrects; a father's delight is behind all this.

The part that jumped out at me the most was this. "Earn a reputation for living well in God's eyes and the eyes of the people. Trust God from the bottom of your heart; don't try to figure out everything on your own. Listen for God's voice in everything you do, everywhere you go; he's the one who will keep you on tack. Don't assume that you know it all. Run to God! Run from evil!"

How awesome!!! My biggest problem has always been that I try to figure out everything on my own. I want to know the who, what, when, where and how of everything! And while I'm trying to figure all of this out and solve my own problems, I forget to listen for God's direction. But God's voice is in everything I do and everywhere I go. How amazing is that!!! He is the only one who can keep me going in the right direction. If I try to do it on my own, I end up in a mess.

Don't assume that you know it all. I have an awful time with that. I'm 20 years old, that's twenty years of learning things, but I still don't know it all. I will never know all that there is to know! For now I know just what God thinks I need to know, and that's good enough.

Run to God! Run from evil! I love how it first says to run to God and then it makes it clear that running to God and running from evil is one and the same. It's not running in two different directions, it's running in one direction with two purposes; getting closer to God and farther from evil.

These verses have encouraged me in the past few weeks. Now the fact that I have know idea what I'm going to do tomorrow let alone in the next year or two doesn't seem to bother me as much as it used to. Instead, it's almost a relief. I was always one to plan out my whole entire life. I had something that I was going to have accomplished by each year. 19 years old; graduate from GBS; 23 years old; graduate from Hillsdale College, 24 years old; get married, 25 years old; start a family, etc. But my ways are not God's ways. I can't plan out my entire life! I don't have any control over any of that! I don't know it all!!! That used to bother me. I wanted control, I really did. But these verses just seemed to remind me that God is in control and the only thing that I need to worry about is weather my life is pleasing to God. As long as I live my life to please Him, then I don't have to worry. I'll let Him be the one to direct my ways, He's the One who will keep on track.

No comments: